Saturday, April 16, 2011

Apr. 16 - Next Two Weeks

The next two weeks, starting from the books in the back and going downward:  Griffin's friend, Sullivan, had the cutest book that Griffin seemed to love, Old MacDonald Had a Woodshop, so I got it for him.  Well, it might be the longest, most exhausting book to read over and over to a 1 year old (thing TONS of repetition, hand motions, and sound effects), and it just so happens to currently be Griffin's favorite book.  His second favorite book is one I found at a consignment shop called Ten Little Fingers, Ten Little Toes.  I will be reading these two books an inordinate amount over the next weeks, to be sure.  Next is Stott's commentary on the book of Romans.  I am currently hundreds of pages behind in reading this for my Romans class.  Yes, I said hundreds.  Oy vey.  The next three are health and fitness related.  I've been reading Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels as well as Tosca Reno's Eat-Clean Diet the past couple weeks.  Now, I am not (I promise) the type to buy diet or weight-loss books.  In fact, I never have.  Over the past couple of months, I've been sick on and off and really struggling with debilitating fatigue, dizziness, faintness, and anxiety.  After months, I realized that it wasn't just going to suddenly go away, and I began to seek out recommendations on holistic doctors and endocrinologists in the area.  From what I had read on my symptoms, my hormones were out of whack and needed correction somehow.  I just wasn't convinced that going to an endocrinologist and being put on synthetic hormones would be a route I would accept anyway.  So, I did a bit of research and found two people who had written on the effects of your diet (not diet as in starving yourself or restricting food groups...diet as in what you eat period) on your hormones.  After delving into these two books, I am seeing just how much damage can be caused by the preservatives, coloring, salt, sugar, processed foods, hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, and non-food ingredients in our diets.  So begins a journey to eat clean and give our bodies the real fuel it needs and understands how to process.  I'm beginning to feel a difference already.  On the bottom of the pile are three CLEP study books that I will scour in my quest to defeat the looming Math CLEP (aka. the only thing standing between me and graduation).  After 10 years sans math, this will be a challenge...but there's no backing out now.  My test is on April 26...10 days to recall 10 years worth of math.  Should be "interesting."  Last but not least, Griffin has been big into trucks, tractors, cars, and the like for a few weeks.  It's been neat to see the little boy emerge in him day by day.  We caught part of an episode of Bob the Builder the other day, and I'm predicting it will be a childhood fav.  Anyway, I was at a consignment store the other day and found this awesome Bob the Builder toy power tool set.  You can change the saw out for a sander or a vacuum.  Pretty cool if you ask me.  Downside:  It's the loudest thing you've ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment